Sunday 10 November 2013

C&G Level 2, Module 1, Chapter 7, Razzle Dazzle!

Free motion embroidery.

I drew rough ideas of what I would sew in my notebook. An ethnic type repeat pattern in primaries, a simple more linear design again in primaries, a little swirly pattern in red and yellow which could be possibly be elaborated on and founded perhaps in Celtic or aboriginal design. I then drew a treble clef facing the usual way and then reversed. I like reversing images - sometimes not easy to do but they remind me of Leonardo da Vinci who wrote backwards in code.

I used black felt backed with Stitch and Tear and a 100 needle and mostly Madeira thread. The fabric was mounted in a 10" wrapped embroidery hoop and tightened to prevent any rucking. I stitched my plan elaborating on odd bits. I used an darning foot throughout.

I then freed up a bit and did some wavy lines in several colours then added a variegated thread and made some circles which eventually became flowers so leaves were added when I reached the bottom end. Not planned but I like the effect.


The Plan in my little notebook


The stitched sample


The stitched words. 

Having stitched over 100 Prairie points with very straight lines I wanted to free up a bit so planned to Razzle Dazzle all over the fabric. Again black felt (although I possibly could have used another fabric) was mounted in a 10" wrapped hoop and backed with Stitch and Tear. 

I had drawn 12 possible styles of Razzle Dazzle and incorporated the majority into my sample. I used pink, lilac, blue, green and yellow threads and then around the end where I have stitched a couple of continuous Razzle Dazzles I used a variegated thread for variety. 

I used upper and lower case letters and in each case tried to make the styles differ to some extent from each other. Good fun.


Some ideas on how I might write the text with my needle


A rough idea of where the text might sit in the hoop, not followed exactly and more added around the edge



The finished sample for Razzle Dazzle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment