Saturday 7 March 2015

Module 5 Chapter 3 completed

Chapter 3 - Trapped.

So, I needed to shop! I did have fun finding a good range of sheers, nets and paper and all the other bits I thought would work. They now occupy the spare bed.


Sample 1

Fabrics

I had taken a photo of a beech tree and used a leaf as a potential source. so using the newspaper and spray method I made a sandwich incorporating some soft wire to create veins in the leaf. In the finished sample, the veins didn't show so I cable stitched some gold cord to represent the veins. The sample was then scorched with a flame which represent the decay of autumn leaves.


Sample 2 Front


Sample 2 Back 

I used a ripples in water as the source image and used the newspaper and spray method to hold the pieces down and made the fabric sandwich with two layers of organza trapping little snippets of organza, I didn't have any chiffon, between and then stitched on top and burnt into the sandwich to expose some of the lower layers. 


Sample 3 

I didn't have a photograph to use as a suggestion for using nets, so used the same type of process in the chapter. I used four layers of net, bottom white, middle - two shades of blue and top a metallic gold and between the layers, placed stripped dyed silk cocoons and then free machined between the pieces. 


Sample 4

Using a beech tree photograph, I trapped little pieces of gold leaf between layers of organza as well as strips of a metallic fabric (black and gold) to depict the trunk and branches. The outline was then stitched to hold the gold leaf with metallic thread on the top and bobbin


Sample 5 front and source


Sample 5 back

I made another sample with gold leaf and snippets trapped between two layers of metallic organzas. I used a grid in non-metallic thread to hold the pieces and then scorched with a flame to show through the layers


Sample 6 back


Sample 6 front

Paper

I had to go and find suitable serviettes - Father Christmas was never going to do! Angelina was fused and the serviette stripped to two layers. I thought that I'd stitch the Angelina and used two metallics. Ambitious! I got some lovely whip stitch though. 


The Angelina for the sandwich

The serviette was stitched with a variegated thread and then elements of the Angelina were exposed and the serviette cut back to the stitched element


Sample 7 stitched


Sample 7 Angelina exposed


Sample 7 Cut back

I took a lovely photo in New York of windows with building refections and decided to use this as my source. 

I used a piece of thinnish white paper and acrylic waxed it to give it a bit of strength. This was folded in half to make the sandwich and fused Angelina was put between two layers of dark blue organza. The organza layers were stitched with metallic threads in a grid pattern. I also placed a piece of thin mica beneath the top layer of paper which was then stitched with black thread in the top and bottom to represent the window framing and the paper torn back to expose the organza and mica. A bit like Stitch'n'tear the little bits of white had to be picked out from the stitching. Areas were burnt back to expose the Angelina

The retained paper was then painted with interference medium, but it doesn't show up very well.


Sample 8 

Finally a layer of gold and a layer of yellow organza became the sandwich between which snippets were trapped by using vermicelli stitch to hold then and then little areas were stitched with the same threads in granite stitch and some other areas with metallic granite stitch and some of the layering burnt back. 



Sample 9

Great fun! I really enjoyed this chapter 


No comments:

Post a Comment