Tuesday 2 December 2014

C&G level 2, Module 4 Chapter 1

Birds of a feather

Words around the theme I thought of were

  • Owls
  • Garden birds
  • Game birds
  • Raptors
  • Domestic birds 
  • Exotic birds
  • Water fowl
  • Nests
  • Eggs
  • Footprints
  • Skulls and bones
  • Flight
  • Feathers
  • Wings
Extending the list, the following were added

  • Chickens
  • Budgies
  • Pheasants
  • Herons
  • Ceramics 
  • Printed Textiles
  • Stitched Textiles
Picture gallery - I am lucky to have taken photographs of many birds in the past, so had quite a few that I could include. With limited time and also the time of year, I was not able to get out and take new photos but did manage to get an afternoon and went to where I knew that there were lots of very tame ducks. I took bread and got some good photos.

I also have a good friend whose brother is a fly-tier in Canada and she had a lot of exotic feathers given to her by the brother. I was lent these to photograph and am able to keep them until I've used them in the chapter.

My brother has a sculptor friend, Nick Bibby who I have been lucky enough to meet. I have used some of his work on birds as they are so well done. 

As I have so many images, I have taken picture of each pages rather than have hundreds of individual photos and apologise that the quality is not a good as I usually take but the winter light was low and even with a bright light above, they are not very good. 



Page 1.

Phil the Pheasant live in the fields around my brothers home as he tries to pinch Blubell, the chicken's food. She and her sisters see him off, but he's always around. 

I couldn't believe the colour of these budgies feathers. I found the image on the internet.


Page 2

I love seeing the water fowls and wetlands bird. The avocets are beautifully elegant and the crane really quite ugly. The pattern on the skylark's wings is lovely. I have disturbed lots of these on the chalk hills around where I live and really like them.


Page 3

I love owls and birds of prey. We saw a barn owl fly across the front of our car lest night. A real treat, they are like ghosts at dusk. I would like to use the shape of the barn owls face somewhere in this Module and may use it in the border I have noted as I read through. The shape of the waxwing landing is interesting and the black grouse bottom is too! Phil phlapping is funny (there was a buzzard overhead) and the secretary bird and heron walking are good shapes.


Page 4.

A few more exotic birds - The top left is a Condor I saw in Peru. He was 'tame' and we could get very close to him. This walking shape is really weird! The peacock is a fabulous bird both the more common blue and also the white - they are rather overdone in art but the eye of the feather is tempting! Parrots are fun and so intelligent; they come in so many colours and we have lots at Longleat if I wanted to go and see them - just five minutes away. At the bottom of Page 4 and the top of the next page, I have found images of birds in flight. The heron looks like a teradactyl (I have no idea how that is spelt) when it flies overhead and the owl is so quiet and agile. 



Page 5.

The spoonbill is not my photo but the wings are fabulous so I had to have this. The facing wing looks like a spread fan. The black grouse doing his mating dance is hysterical and a great shape as is the lovely little blue tit trying to catch a peanut it's dropped, lovely wing shape. I've taken some drawn shapes of swallows in flight and slow release photos of a tit in flight which show good wing shapes which may help me for a piece I may make in this Module.

The feathers below are on the left, one of Bluebell's fellow chicken, the centre a cockerel and the right peacock feathers which are so iconic. I had some of Blubell and co. eggs, some supermarket organics and some brown eggs so put them in a basket and in the second photo broke one which was poached later. Not very interesting but I did manage to get some photos online and then got some quail eggs yesterday which I will draw and add later. I also added my little collection of bird ornaments to one of the photos of eggs in the basket.


Page 6.

All these images are downloaded. I will use the top right nest for Chapter 2 but am tempted to also try and weave a nest (at some time) like the weaver bird! 


Page 7. 

I downloaded all these images apart from the duck's webbed feet which were from a photo by my sister-in-law. I did visit an area where there were ducks and manage to get more which are another page. 


Page 8.

These images are all downloaded from the web but I have bought a magpie skull to sketch during the module - I like drawing bones!


Page 9. 

I then looked for birds from other sources so first ceramics. 


Page 10.

Then printed textiles


Page 11. 

There were so many that it was hard to choose. The five lower images on the page are my photographs of stitched textiles from a visit to India.


Page 12. 

A selection of feathers both my own and those of a friend. The white goose feathers didn't photograph very well at all but will provide the basis of my first feather stitching in this Module.


Page 13.

The top two images are Morris designs, the next three are de Morgan; the three below are Eirian Scott's and very imaginative and the three bottom images are sculpture by Nick Bibby. 


Page 14.

More of Nick's sculptures at the top. Wonderful! And below my photos of ducks taken yesterday with bread as a bribe. 



Page 15.

I managed to get some good close-ups of the ducks and am very pleased. Lots of nibbling of my fingers, but I managed to get really close and am pleased with the detail of their feet, Tails - I love the shapes of the white duck's rear end and feet underwater. The quail eggs are lovely and I will draw a few of them as they are quite different from each other.


Page 16. 

I intend to use the eagle shapes in a piece which was sketched in my little note book after a lunch where I got the ideas down on the back of my shopping list. 

Then some little drawings in my sketch book of some of the photos. I like the dancing avocets most. 

Fun getting the images - there could have been so many more. 

Ready to stitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment