Friday 9 May 2014

C&G level 2 Module 2, Chapter 8 completed

Paper Manipulation

I looked through photographs which might inspire my imagination for crinkled, folded and curved leaves and flowers. I have put the images of these at the end of this chapter and suggested which of the folded and curved papers might be used to re-create the feeling for the their textures.

Paper folding

Using the exercises from the chapter, I made all the suggested folded 3D pieces.


Page 51. The folded paper envelope


Page 51. The folded flap bag


Page 51. The triangular bag.

Notes for the method of constructing these shapes are in my book 

More adventurous paper folding.


Page 51. Concertina'd sample side view


Page 51. Concertina'd sample from top

This sample was made using a small rectangular piece of paper left over from the squares taken from the A4 sheet used for samples before. The rectangle was concertina'd across its length with 8 folds and then each folded back on itself to form a star shaped if observed from the top.

I made more shapes later in the chapter but moved on to curling shapes

Curling paper

The paper loop, mobeus loop and interlinked curled loops were created and photographed for my notebook. 


Page 52. Loop and mobeus loop and interlinked loops

I used doubled sided taped to join the torn loops but it didn't hold, so used a micro-stitch to hold them together more firmly. The shapes formed together became interesting 

Cut and curl


Page 52. Cut and curled strips

The effect was interesting and details of construction as with all pieces are in my notebook. These shapes could be used in many ways, certainly for the unfolding elements of plant leaves and some petals. It also has a relaxing element if draped forms, music and a flowing quality to it. Rather lovely. I look forward to stitching these shapes in the next chapter. 


a


b


c


d

e
Page 51. "lantern shape"

The details of construction were added to my notebook and the form when completed stretched and squashed and photographed to show the shapes created. Images a and b may prove useful for flower shapes 


Page 52. Strips curled backwards and forwards

The A4 paper folded lengthways and different widths and shapes were cut from open edge to fold leaving a small area attached. The shaped were then taking forward and back joining the ends together. Another sample was made using a newspaper which has been previously used for some block printing.

Other folded samples. 

I made some other folded samples and these are photographed and details of construction are in my notebook







Extending the ideas

I used newspaper and block printed papers and folded them in the same methods as used for the first samples.

 These could be used as fronds or developed as dried leaves

 These might be useful as hidden pockets in fabric






This sample may work with wire and stitch to create opening doors to hidden secrets

Some of these samples will prove useful in stitch 


This sample was specifically developed as I have considered using the form when I move on to using wire mesh as a structural foundation for the work in the next chapter. It is cut in one piece from an A4 sheet of paper. Using a fern as the inspiration I wanted to use folds and curls to suggest the shapes of the emerging fronds. I cut leaf shapes and roots shapes into the paper as a continuous sheet and then scored and folded the leaves to shape them inwards. I then curled the tops of the leaves. and rolled the shapes around themselves to imagine the whole plant form. I think that it works and will try this again with wire mesh. 

My plant inspiration for the sample above

Plant inspirations (below)






The paper curled back and forward and joined could be used to create the feeling of these lotus flowers. 






My notebook seems rather less disjointed that this blog! I am really looking forward to translating some of this into stitch in the next chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment