Sunday 13 October 2013

C&G level 2 – Module 1 Chapter 1 Completed


Looking at colour

This was an interesting exercise. I had many more examples than I have used in my book. What I had chosen as orange became more like brown, green more like yellow and vice versa; blues more green and vice versa and reds were actually pink.

I sorted all my colours in better daylight and even then, when they were stuck down, I felt that some were out of place in their tonal range. I have noted these in my book.


Looking at Colour - Green

Looking at Colour - Red


Looking at Colour - Blue

Looking at Colour - Yellow

Looking at Colour - Purple

Looking at Colour - Orange


Collecting colour
I enjoyed looking at colour within my photo collections and found very few primary colours. That was interesting as I am not naturally drawn to them finding them rather harsh and full on. My photo pages and descriptions of the colours I found was a pleasing exercise as I found poems about colours on the Internet which were very descriptive and enjoyable.

Collecting Colour (1)


Collecting Colour (2)

Poem about Orange

Poem about Africa

Collecting Colour (3)

Poems about Green, Yellow and Purple

Collecting Colour (4)

Poems about Green and Blue

Poems about Blue

Collecting Colour (5)


Poem about Red and Discussion on Primaries

Primaries

Transfer Dyeing
I have tried transfer dyes before and found them to be very disappointing, but I learnt why. They work best on man-made fibres and not well on natural or animal fibres. I have used them, (fairly unsuccessfully) with calico and this time, silk with a similarly poor result.

I use screen-printing paint for paper and fabrics, (calico usually) and Procion dyes for animal fibres (silk) and both work well.

I purchased a small amount 25cm or both acetate and polyester satins and tried on both. I think that I am happier with the outcome on the polyester satin fabric.

I have entered my dyed fabrics into my book and have number the pages according to the order of the photos taken and as suggested in the student handbook.

Transfer paint brushed on acetate satin

Page 12. This was a poor quality transfer - I left the iron in one spot too long; top right hand corner which has left a mark. I've now purchased a dry iron with a flat base plate. 


Transfer paint sponged on acetate satin

Page 13/1. Whilst the transferred image is low quality, I was much more pleased with the result and think that it looks like a purple leopard's skin! 

Transfer paint dripped and run on acetate satin

Page 13/2. This was dripped, allowed to run and the gaps stippled - I think that this is pretty despite being pale.

Transfer paint brushed on polyester satin

Page 14/1 - I like this soft transfer - pretty tones

Transfer paint brushed and blocked on polyester satin

Page 14/2. The yellow didn't transfer well but the blocks in darker colours have  become delicate and pleasing.


Transfer painted brushed on acetate satin

Page 14.3. I think I like this transfer piece most - the colour transferred better and the design is pleasing.

I look forward to chapter 2…

No comments:

Post a Comment