Tuesday 29 October 2013

C&G Level 2, Module 1, Chapter 5 completed

The first exercise was to stitch a simple colour wheel using the primary and secondary colours and either zigzag or a machine pattern.

In this sample I used a feather stitch pattern for the red, blue and yellow primaries, then zigzag for the orange and a machine pattern for the purple. I liked the purple element of the colour wheel most of all so decided that for the second stitched colour wheel, I would use the pattern throughout. For both samples I used calico on a Stitch and Tear support, Madeira threads and a size 100 needle as this takes the two tops threads well.


The second colour wheel was stitched with the machine pattern I preferred from the first. I think that the result is very pleasing. Where there were gaps I moved the embroidery hoop used to support both pieces to ensure that gaps were stitched over. 


I like the red/blue mix to make purple and the blue/yellow mix to make the green - it is interesting as a painter to see that the same effects as paint mixing can be achieved with thread. I think that the pattern used also makes the wheel attractive

The two samples above will be on Page 25 of my book.

The next piece is the use of primaries and secondaries as blocks alongside which are their shades and tints achieved by mixing black with the main colour to achieve the shades and white with the man in colour to achieve the tints. 


I used calico, again backed with Stitch and Tear and Madeira threads and a zigzag stitch on the machine with a 100 needle. Using my widest stitch width and a short stitch length, the blocks were filled which left a small gap down the middle of the block. I infilled this with a narrower stitch width. 

This was interesting with a pleasing result. I had to move the hoop to get to the edges as I had used an 8" hoop and the foot hit the edge on the top and bottom corners. This was not a problem and I didn't get puckering despite fairly dense stitching.

From needle to brush, the next sample was the tonal piece with the primaries adding black and white in small gradual amounts to get a range of the shades and tints of the primary colours. 


The two samples above will be on page 26 of my book

And finally two colour wheels were painted. The first, Colour Wheel 1 was a fairly simple wheel of primaries and secondary colours and the second, Colour Wheel 2, more complex using primaries, secondaries and tertiaries, both with tints and shades. My palettes were works of art in themselves, I should have photographed them as well. 


Colour Wheel 1


Colour Wheel 2

These two colour wheels will be on page 27 of my book.

I enjoyed this chapter and look forward to some serious sewing with the Prairie Points in Chapter 6.




No comments:

Post a Comment