Thursday 24 October 2013

C&G Level 2, Module 1, Chapter 4

Level 2, Module 1, Chapter 4

Zigzag stitch and automatic patterns, changing stitch width

My first piece was worked on one of my dyed samples although I used the original painting again and using a new dry iron, got a much better image transfer. It is polyester satin and was backed with Stitch and Tear. I altered the stitch width from the narrowest, almost straight stitch to the widest which on my Juki machine is 7.0.

I used green and orange threads to match the fabric colours and stitched over and over but allowed the fabric to remain visible through the stitch. I like this sample.


This image will be on page 21 of my notebook

Changing stitch length.

I used a piece of black felt, backed with another. I used vibrants colours Bright pink lilac and blue and altered the stitch length from almost satin stitch to long stretched out zigzags. On a couple of rows I also changed the width but only a few as I realised that this was not part of the exercise. The black is a good foil for the vibrant colours.



This image will be on Page 22 of my notebook

Experimental piece

The sample that I used is calico on felt. It was a piece of fabric that I had dyed previously with Procion dyes and I enjoyed the result of that dyeing and thought it would provide a good background for the exercise. I have used the same fabric for the next three pieces. I used variegated threads with good colour mixes to stitch this piece and used a range of widths and lengths intermixed. I particularly like the effect if the 'satin stitch' with the variegation and the expanding and decreasing shapes to their left.


This piece with be on page 22 of my book. 

Automatic patterns

This was a good exercise to make me explore the many possible patterns and stitches that I can stitch. It also allowed me to know which would and would not let me expand and decrease them and how they looked. 

I used the same fabric as the last piece for the next two. With this first piece, I used a purple thread and used a star pattern in lines across the width of the fabric, then using lilac, orange, blue and pink threads that reflect the fabric, I stitched between the lines of stars, changing patterns as I went. Some could not be altered, but as can be seen in one of the lilac and two of the orange patterns, I was able alter the set pattern.

The following two pieces will be on page 22 of my book.


I like the result with this piece but was astonished at how much thread some stitches used. I have thankfully been using a white bobbin thread. 



This is the second piece using machine patterns and trying to modify the stitch length and width. I used purple, lilac and pink again as they work with the fabric. The patterns I used on this piece seemed to be more amenable to being changed. I think that this piece works well although quite like some of the original patterns without them being altered. Some great patterns for future use. 

I then changed fabric for my final two pieces again using machine stitches and altering their length and width. I used two layers of white felt for each piece. In both, I wanted the stitch to make the statement and not the fabric, just to see what they looked like. So, the first piece was stitched with variegated soft colours with a range of stitch patterns, some could be altered some not but the result is quite delicate and pretty. The colours and stitches explored could be used for a baby item. I used my letter stitches, L mixed with a flower pattern just next to a row of the @ symbol. which could not be altered but looks good as a pattern. 



This and the piece below will also be on page 22 of my book.

My final piece for this chapter was also worked on double white felt but this time I changed to bright variegated threads trying out some different patterns and seeing if I could alter them. I like the unchanged pattern second form right with the variegation then the patterns to the left of these, I will use again. The colours and designs reminded my of Native American Peoples' designs and colours. 


I look forward to creating a stitched colour wheel in the next chapter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment